The Dresser / Changing Table

Built for my daughter.  Plans from Woodcraft.

I chose not to add the curved top as it was pretty complicated for the tools I had at the time, and I felt without it, it was stylistically more neutral for long term use.

Project notes – Started in June 2007 in June took me approximately 2 1/2 months to complete.  Which was good, because we put it in her room two days before she was born (she was early, guess she knew we were ready at that point).

Costs – Kind of pricey.  The maple and the maple veneered wood was expensive and there is a fair amount of it.

Flaws – this is the project where I learned my router (a cheapo skil combo base one) has a crap locking collett and the bit slowly slides out of it over time.  The middle bottom groove is deeper than the the sides so the box is not perfectly square and dips a little in the middle.  It was too expensive to replace and I didn’t have an idea how to fix it at the time.  The top hides the worst of it, and I had to shim the shelves to make them level, so it’s only apparent if you look closely.

Advertisements

Posted on August 20, 2011, in Dresser/Changer, Projects and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: